Take Survival Training this Spring
The Spring Mountain Survival Course (SMSC) is a world-class professionally taught Modern Wilderness Survival Course, designed to give you the knowledge you need if stranded in the Mountains of Canada. This survival course gives you the skills and confidence you need for survival anywhere in the Canadian mountains. To register in this 4-day course, you need to complete the Online Survival Core Seminar first and have read Canadian Wilderness Survival.
We will begin the course at our base camp, in the Columbia Mountains near Boswell, B.C., at an elevation of around 600m. We will spend two days and nights learning mountain survival skills. This “Temperate Rainforest” in spring is a wet, moisture-filled environment. This forest provides a great training environment filled with cedars, fir, larch, birch, willow and pine. We will spend some of our time exploring and collecting firewood, saplings and other useful plants in this forest.
"…talks about the task, then does the task, then gives you the time to complete the task…" — Former Student
We will concentrate during these two-days on teaching the fundamental survival skills you need to learn including, safe tool use, fire lighting, cooking over a fire, shelter building and water purification. During this time, you will live in a rustic camp. Each participant will build and live in a single-person shelter with a shared fire. Fire management and cooperation with the individual on the other side of the fire are essential skills you will be learning and practicing.
We will then leave our base camp and move as a group by vehicle to a higher elevation area above 1000m to live a night in sub-alpine terrain. In this new area, we will quickly see the differences due to elevation and slope. Here we will ensure you can survive and thrive if stranded. We will have a chance to see and understand northerly and southerly facing slopes, higher terrain changes and a walkabout in the “Sub-alpine Forest” of the Columbian Mountains. We will finish the course off with a wrap-up and debrief back at the base camp.
Field Training Skills Covered
- Safely using a Survival Knife
- Basic Knife Handling
- Wood Splitting with a Survival Knife
- Sharpening Board & Knife Sharpening
Using Survival Tools
- Build & Use a Baton
- Notches & Try Sticks
- Useful Knots
- Using a Bow Saw
- Safe Falling of Deadfall Trees
- Using Artificial and Natural Tinder
- Finding Natural Fire Lighting Aids
- Extensive Fire Lighting with a Striker
- Standard and Survival Twig Bundles
- Getting a Fire Started
- Keeping a Fire Burning
- Overnight Fire Management Skills
- Selection of Proper Fire Wood
- No-Evergreen Fire Lighting
- Building Cooking Cranes
- Cooking over a Fire
- Collecting and Purifying Water
- Single & Double Super Shelters
- Various Lean-to Shelters
- Building a 4-Finger Bough Bed
- Build various Survival Shelters
- Trees of the Montane Forest
- Useful plants of the Montane Forest
- Safe Camp Locations in the Mountains
- Use and Identification of Aspect/Slope
- Safe Spring and Summer Mountains Travel
Spring Mountain Survival Course Fine Print
- Cost Includes: Instruction, Course Materials; a Survival Knife, Fire Lighting Kit and the use of various materials, shelters, tools and cooking pots during the course.
- NOT Provided: Transportation, Food, Personal Gear, Boots and Clothing.
- Please Ask Questions before you arrive to Avoid Problems.